It’s back to school and NC Health Plans encourages preventive care for your school-aged children! Here are some simple steps you can take to help keep your kids healthy this school year.
- Make sure your student washes his or her hands regularly. School nurses encourage parents not only to emphasize the importance of hand washing, but also to teach your children how and when to wash their hands. Stress the importance of keeping fingers away from eyes, nose and mouth and how to cover any coughs and sneezes using elbows instead of hands.
- Provide a nutritious diet. Nothing beats a little protein every morning to help kids’ brains in gear for the new day
- Making sure kids get enough sleep. Most studies agree that children need between 9 and 11 hours of sleep to work and play optimally.
- Stay up to date on immunizations. Also, make sure you keep your kids home from school when they do fall sick so that they have an opportunity to rest and recover and other children are not affected. This will minimize the spread of illnesses. Most schools require that students stay home for at least 24 hours after a fever subsides, but some children may require more time to ensure a full recovery.
- Provide your child with a pack of disinfectant wipes and hand-sanitizer to keep in their desk. This is always a good idea and sure to be appreciated by their teacher.
- Before they start school, make sure your child has a preventive care checkup. If your child is not currently insured, consider obtaining a health insurance policy that allows you to keep them up to date on wellness visits and vaccinations. Open Enrollment begins November 1st and you can enroll your child in a policy at this time.
For more information on North Carolina insurance coverage, please visit our website at www.nchealthplans.com or call our toll free number 888-765-5400 and speak with one of our experienced and professional agents.